Thanks to my colleague Kayleigh McGarry for this blog post giving an update on the consulting sector following the publication of Top Consultant’s annual management consultancy recruitment report; essential reading for any of you who are thinking about entering this competitive sector – Rebecca
Top-Consultant.com have published their annual Management Consultancy
Recruitment Channel Report 2016, which is based on a survey of 1000 UK consulting recruiters, and focuses on the trends in recruitment and retention within the industry.
The report indicates that there is confidence from management consultancy recruiters that 2016 will bring another year of strong growth, building on the 8.2% growth in 2015 reported by Source Global Research. Other key findings from the report include:
- 89% of consulting employers report that they are looking to hire staff in 2016 at least as fast as they did last year
- Staff attrition rates are increasing
- IT & Technology overtake Financial Services as the most likely hiring practice area
- Digital leaps to the top of the rankings of sought-after skillsets, followed by project management and technology
- Recruitment agencies and personal referrals are the application channels used by most consultancy jobseekers
- Internet Jobsites generate the highest share of total applications with LinkedIn and Top-Consultant ahead of the pack
Another interesting theme within the report is the growing prominence of LinkedIn as the job vacancy site of choice for applicants, as well as being used actively by 90% of respondents for activities such as professional networking, maintaining contact with colleagues, sharing knowledge and client lead generation. As such, you might want to check out the Careers Service website for some useful advice and links for getting starting on LinkedIn in the ‘Using social media in your job search‘ section.
You can also find more information about the UK Management Consultancy sector in the Occupations section of our website: www.ed.ac.uk/careers/your-future/options/occupations/business-management/management-consultancy