Whether you’re an international student interested in the global marketplace or a home student looking to experience work overseas, use Jennifer’s tips to see how GoinGlobal and Vault can help you open up your own global horizons.
GoinGlobal – This vast database of job-seeking resources covers more than 40 countries worldwide, and over 50 US and Canadian cities.
- Use the comprehensive and up-to-date Country Career Guides for:
- identifying top companies and non-profit and volunteer organisations;
- checking a country’s employment outlook (including talent shortages);
- searching networking opportunities;
- researching your decision to work in a particular country. Financial considerations could be relevant e.g. healthcare in the US, high tax rates in Sweden.
- You can create a personal account for bookmarking particularly useful pages or guides. In the Jobs/Internships tab, you can set up new job email alerts which fit your personal search criteria e.g. a part-time internship in Finance in Peru.
- Download sample CVs in English or the national language of the country and follow the CV guidelines for each country. Interview advice is also available. See ‘Cultural Advice’ for information about office protocols, management styles and business practices.
- In the US/Canada City Guides, H-1B info shows the number of petitions companies in a particular location have filed for foreign nationals to work for them.
- To search for a particular type of company in the Employer Directory, search first for a well-known example and use the NAICS code against that company’s profile to bring up a list of other organisations in that sector.
Vault – Each year Vault compiles company rankings based on employee surveys. Information covers pay and benefits, training opportunities and company culture. Current students seeking global internships and graduate job seekers looking to find out what an international company has to offer will find the Vault Guides particularly useful.
- Click on each employment sector to see a list of the top ranked organisations. Great coverage of many sectors of US industry. Some Asia-Pacific and European too.
- Use the Guides tab to view careers guides on topics such as top internships, CV writing and interviews, and for guides to the top companies in various sectors.
- Vault is particularly strong on finance and consultancy, and its guides to Finance Interviews and Case Interviews are not to be missed.
- Create a Vault profile to receive targeted alerts on internship opportunities.
You’ll find GoinGlobal and Vault in the Careers Resources channel of MyEd.
The Careers Service is open throughout Global Horizons Week and all year round. If you’d like to know more about these or any of our other resources for working abroad, just drop by the Helpdesk. And you can find out what else is on offer for you with an international theme this week by viewing this list of our Global Horizons events. Something for everyone!